NSAIDS

Home ** Menu Of Services ** CONSUMER WARNINGS & RECALLS ** Recommended Reading Material ** Contact and Map ** Frequency of Care ** Children, Backpack Pain and Booster Seats ** MORE ARTICLES ** Favorite LInks ** Lords Valley Office Pictures ** Asthma: Solutions You May NOT Have Considered ** Autism and Vitamin D ** Autism, Mercury and High Fructose Corn Syrup ** Cell Phones and Brain Tumors ** Dietary Salt Reduction ** GENETICALLY ALTERED FOODS VIDEO ** Probiotics: Good for So Many Things ** The Power of Pistachio Nuts ** SIT LESS, LIVE LONGER ** Vitamin D: The Versatile Nutrient ** Vitamin D for the FLU ** Vitamin E ** Tocotrienols For Cholesterol ** WARNING - Acid Suppressants Linked to Fracture Risk ** WARNING - INFANT & CHILDRENS PRODUCTS RECALL ** WARNING - LIPITOR RECALL ** WARNING FOR OSTEOPOROSIS DRUG USERS ** ASPARTAME IS A KILLER **



4/29/06

Commonsense Chiropractic Care
Dr. Lee DeBlon

Neck and Back Pain Nutrition

Estimates show that 5-10% of the population here in the United States uses  NON-STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS ( NSAIDs) for pain relief. While they are effective in treating pain, they can also cause a number  of other problems ranging from headaches and stomach ulcers to dizziness, constipation and diarrhea. A NEW STUDY indicates that OMEGA-3 fatty acids found in fish oil may be just as effective as NSAIDs in treating pain, without causing the side effects.

In this study scientists evaluated 250 patients who were suffering from nonsurgical  neck or back pain, and who were taking NSAIDS for pain relief. The patients were asked to take 2400 milligrams of OMEGA-3 per day for 2 weeks, and then reduce to 1200 milligrams daily. Approximately one month after starting the supplements the patients were sent a questionnaire asking them to document their level of pain, use of NSAIDs and any side effects caused by their supplements.

125 patients returned the questionnaire, an average of 75 days after starting the supplements. 78% were taking 1200 mgs per day, the other 22% were still taking 2400 mgs per day.  59%, more than half reported that they were no longer needing to take their NSAIDs for pain control.
The balance of the patients reported that the overall pain levels had improved and were satisfied with these improvements. NO ADVERSE REACTIONS were reported.

As the results of this study show, OMEGA-3 fatty acids appear just as effective as NSAIDs, if not more so, in relieving certain kinds of neck and back pain. That said, there is NO BETTER FORM of NATURAL pain relief than receiving an adjustment from a Doctor of Chiropractic.
Any question, please call for our NO OBLIGATION CONSULTATION and EXAMINATION. We can be reached in Honesdale @ 253-0904 and in Lords Valley @ 775-6656.